Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Finishing up!

Alright everyone, this is it, my last entry here before I come home tomorrow! I can't wait!! I'll be staying the night in Baltimore (hopefully meeting up with my cousin then) and then headed back to KC Saturday morning! I'm very, very excited! It has been quite the journey and one I won't soon forget. I've learned a lot not only about my job, but also about a culture that not many people will ever know about.

I went on my off-base trip the other day and had a blast! We had a tour guide this time and he was amazing! I took a lot of notes (yeah, I'm a nerd like that), but also asked a lot of questions which people in my group thanked me for later because it helped them learn about things too. \

I learned a lot about the changeover from communism to democracy, holidays celebrated, traditions that still last through to today, family life, government, architecture, the Russian Language (which I plan to learn more of and teach my students some), currency, and a host of other small details about this amazing country. It was interesting just looking out the window on the bus and watching people go about their daily lives. The history museum was amazing and I learned a lot about a culture that has changed so much from where it started, where it changed, and where it is today. I plan to write a whole lot more about this, but might save it for a history lesson for my students and then post it for all to read!

So off I go, back home. I have plenty of trinkets of the former soviet union, traditional kyrgyz items, and plenty of stories and pics which I plan to post as soon as I get the film developed! Thank you all for reading along throughout my journey and hope you have all enjoyed it.

As for my kids, I can't wait to come home and teach you all about this culture, our own, and all the rest of the subjects we'll be learning about the rest of this year! I miss you all and can't wait to see your smiling faces again! ;) Take care and see you all very, very soon!

No comments: